My boyfriend’s house has a great outdoor garage space that we’ve converted into a gym. Aside from a little more cleaning to be done, and needing to use a space heater to warm it up on chilly days, it’s pretty awesome for a home gym!
There’s a mat floor, a bench, a rack for weights, barbells, plates, and a dumbbell set. We also have resistance bands, a physio ball, a weighted jumprope, and foam rollers.
We’ve both been capitalizing off of this space. It’s a great investment for so many reasons!
- I love that it’s two steps from the house. How can you make an excuse over that commute?! 😉
- I love that I never have to wait for someone to finish using the weights or equipment I need.
- I don’t feel self conscious when trying new exercises or when sprawling on the floor to stretch.
- I don’t feel people staring, as often happens in a crowded gym. Right ladies?
- I love that I can blast my music over the speakers without anyone changing the tunes.
- I love that I can dance and sing along between sets and generally just have fun in this private space.
- And I love that I really do get a complete workout in this home gym.
Not too shabby! Plus I’m saving $35 a month on a gym membership! Even though we had to buy some of the stuff, we found amazing prices on the floor mats, resistance bands, jumprope and physio ball online at Amazon & Walmart. So, what we spent there will pay for itself in just a couple of months now that we aren’t paying for a membership elsewhere.
The bench and racks were basically given to us when someone we know was going to toss them. They just needed a good cleaning and they get the job done just fine!
The best part of all is the accountability that comes along with this. When I pay for things myself, I tend to value it more. Having all this equipment is so exciting to me because it’s mine! Additionally, there is literally no excuse to skip the gym. The commute can’t stink since it’s in the backyard. It will never be crowded. It will never be closed for holiday hours. Etc, etc, etc.!
I’m extremely happy about this space as you can see …